What is coaching? We can define Coaching as an individual development plan which strives to improve the person (coachee) or to solve problems. Coaching can be requested by companies or individuals. Coaching is not psychotherapy, motivational support or a training course.
When you need coaching?
You probably need a coach when:
- You want reach a specific goal, for example choosing between two different jobs
- You want enhance some skills: public speaking, creativity etc…
- You have a specific problem such as conflict with your boss or with your colleagues
- You have a problem in specific spheres of life: relationships, work, family, emotional control etc…
- You should get coaching because you like a practical approach, you want to know exactly when the coaching will end, and your distress is moderate.
What kind of result can you expect? An increase in self-consciousness and new behavioral schemes. Years ago, The Financial Times posted the results of a study conducted by the International Personnel Management Association, the results showed that in companies productivity increased by 22% after a training course compared to 88% after coaching.
Who is a coach? A good coach is a person who has studied to do it but who is also an excellent listener. He/she will have mastered some tools such as: asking questions, setting goals, working with the “here and now” approach, and being objective and assertive (for example, he/she is not influenced by personal preferences). A good coach doesn’t give you good advice but instead asks you great questions.
Where you can have coaching? A session usually takes place at the coach’s office, or you can have a session via skype. Getting a coaching session via Skype or face to face is slightly different, as described below:
- Relationship: it’s the foundation of coaching. You need to rely on your coach, trust him/her and take a leaf out of the coach’s book. In order to establish a good relationship with your coach, you need a comfortable setting. If you are not used to participating in conference calls you probably need time to get used to it, but if you’re already accustomed to this kind of communication, you can choose the Skype option with no problem.
- With regard to time, if you have a session via Skype you’ll save time commuting to and from the coach’s office and you’ll have more flexibility making the appointment, for example.
How long does it take? Coaching sessions are usually once a week for 8-10 weeks. Each lesson lasts between 1 to 2 hours.
How much does it cost? The cost is variable…it depends on the coach’s experience, on the method (office or conference call), the duration of each session and how many meetings you’ll have. An average price can vary from between 50€ to 100€ per hour (in Italy).
Written by: Debora Penco